- About Us
Over the years, Engineering institutions in Jamaica have existed under various names, with the earliest known organization being the Jamaica Association of Professional Engineers, in the 1940’s.
The main objectives of this association at that time, were the advancement of Engineering knowledge, the promotion and maintenance of a high standard of work in the Engineering field, and to promote the recognition of the Engineers’ importance to the welfare of every community. It also sought to guarantee professional integrity and to protect the Engineer.
Later on, from 1960 to 1966, the Joint Group of Professional Engineers was formed. This was made up essentially of Jamaican Engineers, who were corporate members of the various existing professional engineering institutions in the United Kingdom.
In 1966, this group was formed into the Institution of Engineers, Jamaica.
In the early 1970’s, a second and competing association, the Jamaica Association of Engineers was formed, promoting less demanding requirements for corporate membership.However, after some years of discussion, negotiation and compromise, in 1977, Jamaican Engineers were finally united by a merger between the two organizations, under a new name, the JAMAICA INSTITUTION OF ENGINEERS, which is the current Institution.
The Jamaica Institution of Engineers exists to promote and encourage the general advancement of the Engineering profession and the practice and science of Engineering, and to facilitate the exchange of information and ideas among the members of the Institution and its public.
JIE, through the knowledge and experience of its members:
- Provides opportunities for professional development.
- Assesses the veracity of Engineering Credentials
- Sets standards of Engineering design and monitors their implementation
- Represents the interests of Engineers and fosters the general development of the profession.
Consequently, the Institution’s resources are applied primarily to:
- The Continuing education of Engineers.
- The representation of the interests of Engineers in all fora.
- The development and adoption of National Engineering standards.
- The provision of opportunities for the ventilating and exchange of technical information and ideas.
The maintenance of adequate academic standards for Engineers.
- The promotion of Professional Ethics for Engineers.
- The fostering of technology development and transfer.
- The provision of information and interface which will advance national engineering product delivery.
The Institution believes that the Engineer enhances national development by fostering technology development and transfer and sees its role as leader of the profession and protector of its public concept and image.
“JIE is a nonprofit organization whose viability is a means of providing excellent services for members and for Jamaica.”
Institute of Engineers Jamaica
J. McL. Wint 1966-1967
C. R. Dickenson 1967-1968
W.M. Howell 1969-1970
A.A. Bennett 1970-1971
E.A. Ffolkes 1971-1972
E.A. Ffolkes 1972-1973
H.R. Brand 1973-1974
D.H. Anderson 1974-1975
L.A. Lawson 1975-1976
L.A. O'Gilvie 1976-1977
A.A. Dove 1977-1978
E.C. Williams 1978-1979
Jamaica Association of Engineers
V.M. Lawrence 1974-1975
O.P. Woodham 1975-1976
O.P. Woodham 1976-1977
Current Council 2019-2020
- Engr. Natalie Sparkes, PE - President
- Engr. Glasier Ricketts, PE - President- Elect
- Engr. Christopher Hamilton, PE - Imm. Past President
- Engr. Melissa Townsend, PE - Vice President Marketing & Publications)
- Engr. Christopher Udeagha, PE -Vice President (Engineering Affairs)
- Engr. Steve Johnson, PE - Vice President (Partnership & Education)
- Engr. Shauna-Kay East - Honorary Secretary
- Engr. Oneil Joseph, PE - Honorary Treasurer
- Engr. Norman Tai, PE - Civil Division Chair
- Engr. Rupert James, PE - Electrical Division Chair
- Engr. Kevin Henry, PE - Mechanical Division Chair
- Engr. Nickoe Booth Thompson, PE - AACI Division Chair
- Engr. Sahlu Baker, PE - Ordinary Member
- Engr. Junior Bennett, PE - Ordinary Member
- Engr. Peta-Gay Beadle - Ordinary Member (Central)
- Engr. Kori Flowers - Ordinary Member (West)
- Engr. Kelissa Ebanks - Graduate Member
- Engr. D’wayne Coley - Graduate Member
Jamaica Institution of Engineers
- R.C. Fisher 1977-1978
- O.P. Woodham 1978-1979
- D.E. Miller 1979-1980
- R.P. Kinghorne 1980-1981
- W.G. Reid 1981-1982
- R.E. Nevers 1982-1983
- A.D. Adams 1983-1984
- R.A. Davis 1984-1985
- V.M. Lawrence 1985-1986
- M.L. Weise 1986-1987
- C.D. Wallace 1987-1988
- L.G. Kiddoe 1988-1989
- B.G. Nelson 1989-1990
- E.B. Beckford 1990-1991
- G.A. Ashley 1991-1992
- J.A. Pereira 1992-1993
- N.E. Gunning 1993-1994
- R.A. Silvera 1994-1995
- J.P. Morgan 1995-1996
- W.D. Taylor 1996-1997
- N.P. Saulter 1997-1998
- C.L. Lyn 1998-1999
- G.E. Jackson 1999-2000
- H.C. Nembhard 2000-2001
- N.C. daCosta 2001-2002
- A. Edwards 2002-2003
- E. Richards 2003-2004
- H. Chin 2004-2005
- H. Heron 2005-2006
- M. Anderson 2006-2007
- D. Young 2007-2008
- J. Aryee 2008-2009
- D. Chung 2009-2010
- L. Kelly 2010-2011
- O. Sweeney 2011-2012
- D.Y. Smith 2012-2013
- N.M. Brown 2013-2014
- A.O.A White 2014-2015
- G. Walters 2015-2016
- D. Barnaby 2016-2017
- D.D Ricketts 2017-2018
- C.M. Hamilton 2018-2019